Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Minister or Hireling?

Because of the way our ministry works here at the Barnabas Project, we get to see lots of different settings and observe lots of different situations where people minister. There are those who serve at the will of the Father, and then there are those who serve at the will of the people or the dollar. One is a true minister and the other but a temple prostitute.

Let's talk about the hireling first. Hirelings are ones who do what they do to keep the bills paid or to support a standard of living that they desire. They will compromise as long as they can keep their position, title, pay grade, or celebrity. They may espouse godly philosophy, but it is a matter of preference and they will relinquish their stand if it becomes expedient. They prostitute themselves to keep their situation stable and comfortable.

The genuine minister, however, seeks to please the Father, doing His will, and seeking the increase of the Kingdom even if it is at his own expense. He comes to serve, to love, to see the child of God rise to be all that the Father desires. He is it it for those he serves, but he answers to the Father.
7 Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. 12 But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. 13 The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. 15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. (Jn 10:7-16)
So where are you in the mix? I chose early on to learn how to walk by faith so that my pay check would never set my agenda. I long far more for the Father's favor than that of any man. I fear the Lord's wrath way more than that of any board, council, or congregation. I seek to be the servant who hears, "Well done."

No comments: