Monday, April 13, 2009

Submission and Authority

Of late I have been faced with some challenges with regard to the topic of submission and authority. I have been drawn back to Hebrews 13:17 over and over again in keeping my attitude tuned to the heart of the Father while dealing with those in our network of ministries.
Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you. (Heb. 13:17 NKJV)
I think that subordinates balk at this passage because of the way it starts. Most of us don't like to have someone else telling us what to do. The very thought of being bossed around gets the hair on our neck standing up and brings our flesh to full attention. We see it in little children who defiantly declare, "You're not the boss of me!" The wording chosen by God here is not what we mean by obey, but rather, it is to "trust with confidence and yield to instruction." As subordinates we are to allow those who are in authority over us to speak into our lives and trust that they are here to bless us, to bring us to our full potential, and to help us reach our destiny. If we trust them to have that as their motive, obedience will not be an issue.

Then there is the part that we as leaders must be carefully aware of, "... for they watch for your souls, ..." Literally, the Word tells us that those in leadership lose sleep over their disciples, not in fear and worry, but in prayer. As a matter of fact, this counsel is meant to prevent leaders from losing sleep over their disciples for negative reasons, "Let them do so with joy and not grief, ..." We are to be interceding for our disciples, just like Jesus intercedes for us. (Heb. 7:23-25) If we are, we have a right to expect their devotion, submission, and cooperation. It is still voluntary, but it should not be hard for them to yield to our leadership because our heart will be the heart of the Father.

This matter is one of trust and commitment to one another. Because of our time with the Father, knowing the Father's heart and will, we see resistance to our counsel and instruction as resistance to God's will. It grieves us, we agonize over what it takes to get our followers on track, and a chain of events is set in motion that will either bring us back to agreement or separate us in spiritual divorce. It is no wonder that we agonize over those who refuse our leadership. But, we must keep our heart right lest our agony become merely an emotional response to being rejected. The key to our success it to stay in agreement with the Father and the path is laying out before us.

I cannot express how much value I place on the counsel of those who are "in authority" over me. I trust them to see beyond my biases, my fears, and my personal issues. They keep me form being blind sided, make wisdom beyond my years and experience available, and know how to hear from the Holy Ghost and counsel me accordingly. Nothing means more to me in ministry than these precious men and their wise counsel. I know that their correction is for my benefit, and have learned to quickly heed it. I know their "suggestions" are often the voice of God speaking gently to me. These relationships have saved me untold wealth, kept me from serious error, and built in me an expectation of success in life and ministry.

The relationship we share with our disciples and mentors is to be one of love, devotion, and mutual benefit. We are the reason God put our mentors in our life, and we are the vehicle God wants to use to bless our disciples with success. I don't know how the situation here is going to end, but I know what the Father's heart is. I will continue to stay after it until the door is closed, and even then I will be praying and seeking reconciliation and restoration. Let's commit ourselves to covering these situations in prayer and work diligently to see God's kingdom advance.

To God be the glory!

No comments: