Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Beware False Doctrine

As we travel and interact with others in ministry, I am at times distressed by those who espouse positions and doctrines that fly in the face of the whole of the Scriptures. As you know, by "cherry picking" verses, you can make the Bible support any position you choose. BUT, those who honestly hold the Scriptures in total to be the full expression of the Father's heart cannot tolerate pet doctrines.

In a recent visit I was exposed to more false doctine in one hour than I did in all of the years before I came to Christ. How sad to have a congregation that is subjected to such teaching. I feel sad for the sheep in that most of them not only won't dig in to find the truth for themselves, but they are ill equipped to know how to discover the truth through study. While I trust the Holy Ghost to guide believers into the truth, I am aware of Paul's words to the Galations about being "bewitched." Those who have not been exposed to solid teaching will trust the leadership to take them in the right direction, and we who lead will be judged accordingly.

I remind you leaders to be certain that you are teaching the truth as revealed from Genesis to Revelation. Make certain that you are not just teaching some doctrine you learned but have not studied out for yourself.

I remind those of you who are in the pews, 2 Timothy 2:15 was written to you. "Study to show yourself approved ..."

Finally, I remind you that we are all to be submitted to one another, keeping each other acountable, keeping each other on track.

For more information on the things I'm running into, see my posts at http://faithprevails.org/HotTopics.dsp -OR- http://murphygang.netforums.us/viewforum.php?f=24

3 comments:

Rick Lawrenson said...

Hi Pat,
I found this post to be so refreshing and true. I agree!

Then I went a few posts earlier and found you thanking some teachers who have played a part in your spiritual formation and found some who are at polar opposites of doctrine, so much so that they might even consider the other heretical in their beliefs.

So, you've got me a bit confused...

Pat said...

You're quite right that there are those we receive from who at times seem to one another to be heretical. But the truth can always be backed by the Word in total. One of my teachers constantly challenged us to prove all that was taught for ourselves in the Word, a challenge I have taken to heart. Another would often say, "Make sure that you don't just swallow everything. Be good sheep and eat the hay but spit out the sticks."

When we find someone who has gotten insight into a particular area, I think we should honor that as agreeing with the Word. Where one is off base, I think we should confront it. No one is right all the time. Together we can keep each other straight.

I also try and keep in mind that things I once considered heresy I later found to be the truth. It started with getting saved and finding out that the Baptists were right after all. As time has gone on I have picked some things up and laid others down with this one criteria, if the Word says it consistently from Genesis to Revelation, I'll keep it. If not, I am more than willing to lay it down.

While I value my relationships in the Local Church, it does not define me. Today I don't identify with any one particular denomination or teacher, but with Christ. I am a Christian, part of the Church, living the life, and trying to get it right.

Thanks for your comments.

Rick Lawrenson said...

You're welcome!