Friday, February 29, 2008

You Are Not Alone

From the insightful pen of my friend, Pastor Virgil Stokes:

"I thank God that I am not alone in this world. I am hopelessly unqualified to survive without help. Last week I was in Panama City. While there, I rented a car and drove to various destinations. Left to my own devices, the only place I know how to find is Pastor Vicente’s house and that is only if I start from the airport. Fortunately, Vicente was with me everywhere else I had to go. We are a team. I let him know that I was totally lost, so he had to let me know what lane to get in and warn me ahead of time if I needed to turn. We negotiated many fascinating situations. Going over one bridge, we came to a traffic circle. Vicente warned that I needed to turn right at the third opportunity. He let me know that drivers from the first 2 entrances would be barging in, and then at the last minute I should watch my left side, as others would be swerving in front of me to make the same turn I was going for. He described the situation very accurately, and with great fear, trembling, and angelic intervention we negotiated the turn - vehicles parting before us just like the sea in Exodus. Arriving downtown, we drove down a relatively calm 2-way street. “Turn left here,” he said. I did so, then was admonished, “Stay to the left, stay to the left. This street you drive on the left.” “Oh, a one-way, I suppose.” “No. For this one block, all traffic drives on the left.” To confirm this I looked up and noted oncoming traffic passing to my right. Question: Did I miss a sign. Answer: No. This is the only drive-to-the-left street in Panama. It lasts only one block, and there is no sign. You just have to know. Thank God for a friend in the car who knows!

"As we proceed through life and ministry, we need a friend who knows - one who can foresee difficulties and warn us of odd situations coming up. As ministers, we know some things about the Word. We may have some training or background in business, or administration, or whatever. Doing the daily work of ministry, however, requires more than knowing some information, or even than having great skills and talents. Real life is full of interesting problems and pitfalls, not just unforeseen, but unforeseeable. For this reason, our education must include the opportunity to get some real experience, to get dirty, to make mistakes, and to hear God in the trenches. Every real-life project has adjustments to be made on the move. We need to know how to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit who is always with us. He knows the plans and devices of our enemy. He goes before us in both time and space to spy out the landscape and warn us if the road changes. Our job is to stay alert, keep our ears open, and trust the direction we receive. If I had to give one word of advice to those starting out in ministry it would have to be, 'You are not alone. Don’t try to do it alone. Learn to slow down and pay attention to the oh-so-quiet direction of the Spirit in your heart.'”

Scripture Reading: Then He said, "Go out, and stand on the mountain before the LORD." And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. (1 Kings 19:11-12 NKJV)

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross Said: People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,but when the darkness sets in,their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

"In the midst of every situation, be it the crush of apparent failure, the condemnation of friends, or just good old self-flagellation and self-centered fear, we have a friend who sticks closer than a brother. Hearing and obeying God separate success from failure, deliverance from disaster, and joy from despair. We are not alone."

Good Word, brother!

No comments: